Studio Song Project

The final mixes for my two studio recorded songs.

“These Walls” Cover

“Diary” Cover


Wrapping Up

May 9th, 2017

I have spent he past week making last minute edits and mixing my five songs.  For the most part I have been mixing at home using Pro Tools 12.5 and a pair of Audio Technica Headphones (M50x’s).  I have been printing the mixes and listening to them in my car to see if I notice anything that needs to be changed.  Since I do not have a pair of speakers at home I came to the college today to listen to my mixes on the JBL speakers through the D-Command control surface.  I listened in mono so that I could better understand what might be lost when my mixes are listened to through different devices.  I made final adjustments and exported my laybacks.  I will have a couple people listen to my mixes and hopefully I will be able to come back to the school tomorrow to make final changes if necessary.

My critique will be this Thursday May 11th at 10:30am.  I am also making notes on each project to have with me during the presentation so that I don’t forget anything.

Saturday Mixing

April 29, 2017

We were able to work in the studios on Saturday.  I was able to book the Audient.  I was able to finish editing the wood sticks, tambourine and shaker for “Diary” and consolidate all of the files.  I then exported all of the consolidated files so that they could be imported into a new session.

I then created a mix session for each song by using an old mix template making alterations as needed.  I imported all of the previously exported files including the songs I’m using as my reference material.  I color coded all of the tracks and clips to make it easier to work.

I began a rough mix of “These Walls.”

Preparing to Mix

April 26, 2017

I finished editing all of my old blog posts today.  I spent some time in open lab tuning the small vocal parts that Javier and myself added to “These Walls” last Thursday.

April 27, 2017

I spent the majority of my time looking at all of my tracks in the pro tools session for “These Walls.”  A lot of the editing was checking my audio transitions to make sure there were no clicks or pops.  I restored the clip gain to all of my tracks and consolidated the tracks so that I could easily import them into my mix session.

April 28, 2017

I have been tryjng to figure out what to add to my audio for video project because it sounds somewhat empty to me with just the poem in the background.  I decided that I would attempt to record the audio of myself mocking the dance moves that chelsi performs in the video do that I can overdub the sounds.  I used Audio Technica U851a boundary microphones placed on the left and right side of the rooms.  I recorded the microphones into a handheld zoom recorder.  After I finished this I spent a lot of time editing the audio tracks from my location recording and started to mix it.  I was also able to edit and consolidate the majority of my tracks for “Diary.”

I plan on coming into open lab at the college Saturday morning to work some more.

Blog Fine Tuning

I just spent a couple hours updating the work I have completed over the last week or so.  I have quite a bit of editing ahead of me for my projects (and my blog) but I am certain I will meet my deadline.  Tonight and Sunday I plan to dedicate to cleaning up my sessions and possibly starting the mixing process.  If I do not begin mixing by Sunday I will start it Monday after my sociology class.

Vocal Make Ups

April 20th, 2017

I had already booked time in the Yamaha DM 2000 to work on editing my projects but because I wasn’t able to record vocals for my location project on Tuesday I asked the vocalist to come in today and overdub her vocals.  We used an Audio Technica 4050 Condenser Microphone.  We did three or four takes of “Soundwave” (which only has vocals during the intro) and we only did one take of vocals for “Misfit.”  The vocalist was tired and didn’t want to stay long.  I also told her not to worry about it too much since it was technically supposed to be a location recording.

After we finished with that Javier came to the school to record a small male vocal part for “These Walls.”  I also did a pass of the same vocal part just in case they needed to be replaced or added to.

I also played a rough edit of my Audio For Video project for Javier.  He suggested that I use some walla (background noise ex: a crowd, bar noise, street noise) in my video to give it an ambience.  I think that it definitely needs something to add to the feel of it since I wasn’t able to get the foot sounds that I wanted.  There is also a part where the dancer claps so I recorded claps while I was in the studio so that I could use them to overdub.

He also suggested using synth pads from a keyboard to fill up a lot of the space that seems to be missing in “These Walls” when compared to the original.  I am trying to stray away from recording any more in the last two weeks of Capstone.  Francis suggested that I duplicate and highly process certain tracks to get the effect I believe the song needs.  I will probably do this instead due to time constraints.