Percussion Work

April 11th, 2017

Today I turned in my remix project.  I feel like the ideas still need some fleshing out but I got it to a decent place.  David Kennedy sent in a request for me to use the Auditorium in the Tri-C Arts and Music building as the location for my location recording.  It was approved for April 18th, 2017.  This will be a lot easier on my musicians travel-wise.

That evening I spent time in the Yamaha DM 2000 tuning vocals for my song “Diary.”  I also recorded my own vocals for “These Walls” because I do not have much time to try to coordinate with another female vocalist.  I recorded my vocals using an AT 4050 so that the vocals would cut through a little better.

I also recorded percussion parts on both studio songs.  I used one AT 4051 small condenser microphone.  I figured I could record different types of percussion and pan them each to its own place in the mix.  I recorded tambourine, Cowbell, Shaker, Rosewood Claves and a Wooden Vibraslap.  I plan to see what sounds best when editing.  I want to try to use the Vibraslap as an interesting effect on These Walls.

JPEG_20170421_145752_-1093749082
AT 4051, AT 4050 and Percussion Instruments

ReMix Editing

April 6th, 2017

I dedicated a good portion of my time to my remix project to make sure I would be able to complete it by Tuesday.  I have chosen to use Pro Tools to edit my remix.  I was going to try working in Reason but I’m not as familiar with the program so using Pro Tools made more sense.

I imported the provided audio tracks I thought I might use into a Pro Tools session (some guitars, the kick, the snare, the bass and the vocal pads).

I cycled through the tracks searching for loops I thought I’d be able to work with.  I chose a guitar loop to be the base of my song and set the tempo in Pro Tools.  I built a beat using a sampled kick and snare from the song.  I made a variation for the chorus.  I added a separate guitar loop as the intro to my song but I’m not sure yet if I’ll keep that piece.  Some effects I used on the guitars were Reversal, Time Shift (to slow the clips) and Vari-Fi (to create a slow down and speed up effect).

I imported three vocal pads and printed them onto one track to make them easier to work with.  I printed several different versions to give myself more options (some with 2 harmonies, some with 3 harmonies and then those same combinations but with a “React-Fi” plug-in set to “Alternate”).

I used shorter versions of the vocal pads to create an ambience in the song.  Some effects I used on the vocal pads were Sci-Fi, Air Kill EQ (cutting the Highs), Air Dynamic Delay and Air Spring Reverb.   I also chopped up the same vocal pads on another track and scrambled them to make a stutter effect and I varied this with longer clips in the chorus.

General Project Update

April 3rd, 2017

Diary (Studio Song):  The recording for this song is complete.  I just need to tune vocals, clean up the tracks and create a mix.

These Walls (Studio Song 2): I still need to record female vocals and add in saxophone MIDI. I also have to tune my vocals and the violins before I begin mixing this song.

Audio For Video (A4V): I have one audio for video project completed but I’m not happy with it.  I recently performed in the choreo-poem “For Colored Girls.”  One section of the performance consisted of a dancer performing during a poem.  I thought it would be interesting to record the audio of the poem and the video of the dancer for my A4V.

During the performance of the play last week the sound engineer (Josh) let me record the main outs of the Soundcraft K2 board into a Zoom H4N Recorder using a XLR to 1/4″ cable.  The performer used a Shure Beta 58 Dynamic microphone.

Location Recording: I also have a location recording that I’m not completely satisfied with. I have been speaking with an 8 piece groove fusion band named “Inspire One” to coordinate a time and place for us to record.

Mix: It’s been a while since I’ve revisited my mix project.  I have to work on dynamics and signal processing.

Remix: I have worked on a couple of ideas for my ReMix but I’m going to spend the majority of my time working on it this week so that it is ready to turn in on Tuesday April 11th.